Thursday, October 16, 2008

My Own Agenda



Time, it is something that we all feel like we don't have much of. I wake up with an agenda, a new plan for the day ready to start and conquer. We all know that Spencer is the "King of Planning". A personality trait that could sometimes drive me crazy when we first got married, but I have now come to love. You see, I used to pride myself on being this laid back, procrastinating, go with the flow kind of girl. But honestly there has always been a part of me that liked order. I now like to call myself a "laid back planner" (is that an oxymoron?) Becoming a mom makes you more organized, doesn't it? Or maybe I have become more scatter brained and need to make out to do lists or I will forget what I was thinking of 5 minutes ago. Of course every day is different but I do like going in with a plan and a somewhat (let me STRESS somewhat) predictable routine. Anyway, this plan and agenda can sometimes become a problem. It is hard for me to get off track. For example, it is easy for me to bake my neighbors brownies and drop them off. But if they invite me to sit and visit on the porch while Adelyn naps it is hard for me to stay. Tick, tock, tick the clock is chasing me. There is so much I want to get done while she is down for an afternoon nap. My agenda is calling me. Clothes to wash, dinner to prepare, oh yeah and have I showered today? Now I know this is not always a bad thing but it can get in the way of building relationships and taking time for people, including my family. Someone once told me that people are more important than projects. So next time I'm caught up in my own agenda I want to try to set the project aside and really listen to what others are saying.

No comments: